The primary goal of the project of alternative management of SSED is the prevention or the limitation of the environmental damage caused by their production and inappropriate management, as well as the adoption of measures in this direction, according to the standards set by the relevant legislation.
In its largest part this waste is non-hazardous. However, it is possible that a small part of it is made from materials characterised as “dangerous” and whose management demands special knowledge and expertise.
Until recently, there was either a bulk collection of SSED or by the use of dumpsters, such as containers, while their disposal took place mostly in unlicensed facilities of disposal or processing. The implementation of the required measures for their management aims at reducing, even at annihilating negative environmental impact.
By using the available recycling techniques of SSED, their exploitation is accomplished to a great extent.
More particularly, the environmental benefits that arise from the alternative management of SSED are:
- Environmental protection and natural resources maintenance by reducing the use of quarry products and replacing them with recycled aggregates.
- Redesign and reconstruction of the network of collection and management of construction waste at the environment’s benefit by using strict criteria – standards.
- Important reduction and gradual elimination of phenomena of uncontrolled waste dumping at sensitive locations (streams, areas of outstanding natural beauty, etc.)
- Significant increase in life expectancy of the final waste-disposal sites and full exploitation of their available volume in order to dispose of unexploitable waste.
- Contribution to the rehabilitation of inactive quarries with their full reintegration into their natural environment through the exploitation of products and residues of these units according to proper standards.